COLUMBIA, Mo. – An old University of Missouri rival returning to Memorial Stadium highlights a 2024 home football slate revealed by the Southeastern Conference on Wednesday.
The 2024 season marks the first year of league competition for the University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas – Mizzou’s longtime rivals from the Big 12 Conference.
The Tigers will welcome Arkansas, Auburn, Oklahoma and Vanderbilt to Columbia in 2024 while traveling to Alabama, Mississippi State, South Carolina and Texas A&M.
Oklahoma and Mizzou meet for the 97th time in 2024 and the first time since 2011 in a series that dates to 1902. The Sooners are one of five teams the Tigers have faced 90 or more times, along with Kansas, Iowa State, Kansas State and Nebraska.
SEC teams in 2024 will play eight conference games plus one required opponent from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, or major independent during the 2024 season when the SEC becomes a 16-team conference. The Tigers face Boston College at home on Saturday, September 14. 2024.
The SEC will eliminate divisional standings beginning in 2024. The SEC Championship Game will feature the two top teams in the Conference standings at the end of the regular season.
The SEC will announce a complete 2024 football schedule that includes dates of games later this year.
RESERVE YOUR SPOT NOW!
Fans interested in 2024 football season tickets can lock in their seats now by purchasing tickets for the 2023 season.
Mizzou will open the 2023 season on Thursday, August 31, against South Dakota at Memorial Stadium. The Tigers’ robust home schedule features games against Kansas State, LSU, South Carolina, Tennessee and Florida.
NOTING MIZZOU’S 2024 SEC FOES
- Arkansas – Battle Line Rivalry has happened yearly since 2014.
- Auburn – Fifth meeting all-time and first in Columbia since 2017.
- Oklahoma – First meeting since 2011. Teams have met 96 times previously. Series dates to 1902.
- Vanderbilt – Teams have met annually since 2012.
- Alabama – Only second visit to Tuscaloosa all time and first since 2018.
- Mississippi State – Only the fifth meeting ever and Mizzou’s first trip to Starkville since 2020.
- South Carolina – The Mayor’s Cup has been played yearly since 2012.
- Texas A&M – First trip to College Station since November 15, 2014.
2024 SEC FOOTBALL OPPONENTS
- The slate of home and away designations in 2024 was built with the provision that no school will travel to the same location to which it traveled in 2023.
- The 2024 SEC opponents were determined based on two primary factors: traditional opponents and balance of schedule strength.
- Balance of schedule strength was based on each school’s conference winning percentage since the last expansion of the SEC in 2012. The winning percentages for the performance of Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12 since 2012 were included in determining 16 positions ranked by winning percentage.
- Each school’s schedule in 2024 will include four opponents – two home and two away — whose winning percentage ranked among the top eight conference winning percentages since 2012. Also, each school’s 2024 schedule will include four opponents – two home and two away — whose winning percentages ranked among the second eight conference winning percentages since 2012.
- While no school will travel to the same location to which it traveled in 2023, it should be noted that when a long-term schedule format is determined, it may not be possible to structure a schedule that does not include some schools playing at the same location in back-to-back years in the first year of a new format.