COLUMBIA, Mo. – University of Missouri tennis took the doubles point and an early singles lead, but could not close out No. 50 Alabama, dropping a 4-1 decision in Southeastern Conference action on Friday.
The match was played in front of a raucous crowd of Mizzou supporters at the Country Club of Missouri, including football head coach Eliah Drinkwitz, Whitten Family Men’s Basketball Head Coach Dennis Gates and The Antlers, part of the Tigers student section.
The Tigers drop to 10-13, and 1-10 in SEC play, while Alabama improves to 12-8, going 5-5 in the conference.
Trailing 1-0 in doubles, the No. 1 duo of Mae Canete and Inah Canete picked up a 6-1, upset win over Alabama’s forty-second ranked team of Loudmilla Bencheikh and Anna Marie Hiser.
Andrea Artimedi and Emelie Schwarte continued the momentum in No. 2 doubles, taking down Petra Sedlackova and Anna Parkhomenko by a score of 6-3.
Alabama picked up three straight-set wins in the first four matches to put the Crimson Tide on the cusp of clinching the match.
Inah Canete took Alabama’s Petra Sedlackova to three sets, defeating her 6-4 in the opening set before dropping the final pair. No. 5 and No. 6 singles were both left unfinished.
#50 Alabama 4, Missouri 1
1. Loudmilla Bencheikh def. #89 Mae Canete (MIZ) 7-6 (11-9), 6-3
2. Ola Pitak (UA) def. Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) 6-2, 6-2
3. Petra Sedlackova (UA) def. Inah Canete (MIZ) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Anna Parkhomenko (UA) def. Andrea Artimedi (MIZ) 6-2, 6-2
5. Anna Marie Hiser (UA) def. Romary Cardenas (MIZ) 6-0, 1-0 uf
6. Klara Milicevic (UA) def. Eleanor Fay (MIZ) 6-0, 0-1 uf
1. Inah Canete and Mae Canete (MIZ) def. #42 Loudmilla Bencheikh and Anna Marie Hiser (UA), 6-1
2. Andrea Artimedi and Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) def. Petra Sedlackova and Anna Parkhomenko (UA), 6-3
3. Ola Pitak and Kasia Pitak (UA) def. Romary Cardenas and Eleanor Fay, 6-0
Order Of Finish: Singles- 2, 4, 1, 3; Doubles 3, 1, 2
Mizzou matches up against No. 12 Auburn on Sunday at 11 a.m. CT at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield, Mo.