SPRINGFIELD – University of Missouri tennis lost to No. 28 Vanderbilt by a 6-1 margin on Sunday in Southeastern Conference action at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield, Missouri.
Thanks to the sunshine and temps in the 60s, the Tigers were able to play outside in a home match for the first time this spring.
Mizzou (10-10, 1-7 SEC) started the day off strong with a 6-1 win at No. 1 doubles from Inah Canete and Mae Canete over Holly Staff and Amy Stevens but couldn’t seize the momentum as the Commodores (9-8, 3-5 SEC) grabbed a6-3 and 6-2 wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles, respectively, on the way to snapping a five-match losing streak.
Andrea Artimedi grabbed a straight-set, 6-4, 6-2 victory at No. 6 singles, knocking off Vandy’s Marcella Cruz.
Inah Canete battled back for a 7-5, second set win at No. 5 singles after dropping the first set 7-5. The third-set tiebreaker was tight all the way until Stevens pulled away at 8-7, picking up the final two points to clinch the win.
Mizzou is back on the road this week for matches at Florida and South Carolina. The Tigers and No. 19 Gators will tussle on Friday at 4 p.m. CT from the Alfred A. Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville. The trip closes with a 10 a.m. match against the Not. 26 Gamecocks at the Carolina Tennis Center.
28 Vanderbilt 6, Missouri 1
1. #46 Celia-Belle Mohr (VU) def. #75 Mae Canete (MIZ) 6-1, 6-1
2. #82 Bridget Stammel (VU) def. Laura Masic (MIZ) 6-2, 6-2
3. Holly Staff (VU) def. Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) 6-4, 6-2
4. Anessa Lee (VU) def. Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) 6-2, 6-0
5. Amy Stevens (VU) def. Inah Canete (MIZ) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Andrea Artimedi (MIZ) def. Marcella Cruz (VU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Inah Canete and Mae Canete (MIZ) def. Holly Staff and Amy Stevens (VU) 6-1
2. #58 Marcella Cruz and Celia-Belle Mohr (VU) def. Andrea Artimedi and Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) 6-3
3. Anessa Lee and Bridget Stammel (VU) def. Gabriela Martinez and Laura Masic (MIZ) 6-2
Order of finish: Singles — 1 2 4 3 6 5; Doubles — 1 2 3