AUBURN, Ala. – The University of Missouri Softball team (20-13, 1-7 SEC) dropped its doubleheader to No. 21/25 Auburn (24-9, 3-2 SEC) Saturday at the Jane B. Moore Field. Auburn took the opener 4-0 before edging Mizzou, 2-1, in the night cap.
Missouri 0, No. 21/25 Auburn 4
Auburn took the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader, 4-0, behind a pair of home runs.
The Tigers took an early 2-0 lead with a two-run homer from Lindsey Garcia in the first.
Pinch hitter Aubrie Lisenby added a two-run shot to left in the fifth to increase the edge to 4-0.
Maddie Penta limited Mizzou to two hits with a program-best tying SEC strikeout total of 17 for the win.
Chantice Phillips compiled an infield single in the second inning before Julia Crenshaw knocked a leadoff double in the seventh.
- Chantice Phillips and Julia Crenshaw (double) each had a hit in the doubleheader opener Saturday.
- Chantice Phillips also stole a base.
- Kara Daly earned a walk.
- Jordan Weber registered a season high seven strikeouts. She allowed four runs on four hits.
- Two hits matches a season low for the Tigers.
Missouri 1, No. 21/25 Auburn 2
In the night cap, Auburn overcame MU, 2-1, in the bottom of the seventh.
Auburn took a 1-0 lead in the first on a RBI single from Jessie Blaine.
Riley Frizell then drove Maddie Gallagher home on a sacrifice fly the following inning to even the contest.
Auburn capped the walk off on a Mizzou throwing error. KK McCrary and Aspyn Godwin notched consecutive singles to set the table for the game-winning run on a MU Tigers miscue.
Chantice Phillips made some strong plays on defense including an inning-ending double play in the bottom of the sixth.
OH MY GOODNESS, @chanticep_28 ??#OwnIt #MIZ???? pic.twitter.com/OiDZnOCOOw
— Mizzou Softball (@MizzouSoftball) March 26, 2023
- Jenna Laird, Alex Honnold, Kara Daly, Chantice Phillips, Maddie Gallagher, Katie Chester, and Payton Jackson each had a hit in the second game of the doubleheader.
- Alex Honnold, Chantice Phillips, and Maddie Gallagher each had a double.
- Chantice Phillips extended her hitting streak and reached base streak to six games.
- Kara Daly is currently on a five-game reached base streak.
- Riley Frizell registered her first sacrifice fly of the 2023 season.
- Laurin Krings posted five strikeouts Saturday. She has now tallied five or more strikeouts seven times in 2023 including seven of her last eight starts.
- Laurin Krings allowed just one earned run on seven hits with a pair of walks.
- Hits finished tied at 7-7 between Auburn and Missouri.
- With the victory, Auburn secured the series win.
Missouri and Auburn conclude the series Monday at 6 p.m., CT. The game will be broadcasted on SEC Network with Mark Neely and Michele Smith on the call.
Following the road series at Auburn, Mizzou returns to Columbia, Missouri, for a four-game homestand. Missouri will host Northern Iowa on Wednesday, March 29 before Alumni Weekend against No. 16/13 Alabama March 31-April 2.
Missouri will recognize its 1983 Women’s College World Series Team on Friday, March 31, followed by recognition of all Mizzou Softball Alumni prior to Saturday, April 1’s game.
Friday of the Alabama series, fans will receive Girl Power t-shirts and claw clips, while supplies last. Saturday, fans can receive a fanny pack and April 2 is Family Funday Sunday with a postgame egg hunt.
FOLLOW THE TIGERS
- For all the latest on Mizzou Softball, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team @MizzouSoftball (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook).
- Single-game and limited season tickets are currently on sale. Tickets can be purchased online, in-person at the Mizzou ticket office, or by calling 1 (800) CAT-PAWS.