SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – University of Missouri tennis won the doubles point and won a key tiebreaker at No. 3 singles to seal a 4-2 victory over Mississippi State on Friday at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield, Missouri.
The Tigers (10-7, 1-4 Southeastern Conference) snapped a six-match losing streak overall and in league play. The Bulldogs fell to 10-6 and 0-5 in SEC play. Mizzou has won three-straight matches against Mississippi State.
With Mizzou holding a 3-2 lead in the match and the No. 6 singles match headed to a third set, Gabriela Martinez staged a second-set comeback to force a tiebreaker at No. 3 singles. After taking the first set 6-3, Martinez trailed five games to three in the second. She worked the score back to six games apiece and then won the set tiebreaker 7-4 to clinch the Tigers’ first SEC win since April 10, 2022 – coincidentally also over Mississippi State.
Mae Canete was on the board first in singles, continuing her strong run of spring play with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 1 singles. The Bulldogs picked up a pair of straight-set wins at No. 2 and No. 5 singles before Inah Canete earned a 6-2, 6-2 win over No. 88 Maria Rizzolo at No. 4 singles, setting up Martinez as the decider.
The No. 6 singles match between Romary Cardenas-Rifka and Maddie Bemisderfer was left unfinished in the third set.
The Tigers swept the doubles point with the Canete sisters earning the 6-2 win at No. 1 and Andrea Artimedi and Emelie Schwarte going 6-2 at No. 2 to seal the first point of the day.
Missouri 4, Mississippi State 2
- Mae Canete (MIZ) def. Emmanouela Antonaki (MSU) 6-2, 6-4
- Gia Cohen (MSU) def. Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) 6-2, 6-2
- Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) def. Alexandra Mikhailuk (MSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
- Inah Canete (MIZ) def. #88 Maria Rizzolo (MSU) 6-2, 6-2
- Dharani Niroshan (MSU) def. Andrea Artimedi (MIZ) 6-3, 6-0
- Romary Cardenas (MIZ) vs. Maddie Bemisderfer (MSU) 6-2, 2-6, 5-4 (unfinished)
- Inah Canete and Mae Canete (MIZ) def. Emmanouela Antonaki and Dharani Niroshan (MSU) 6-2
- Andrea Artimedi and Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) def. Maddie Bemisderfer and Gia Cohen (MSU) 6-2
- Romary Cardenas and Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) vs. Sydney Hrehor and Alexandra Mikhailuk (MSU) 5-3 (unfinished)
Order of Finish: Singles — 1 2 5 4 3; Doubles — 1 2
Mizzou is back in action on Sunday, taking on Ole Miss – once again at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield. First serve is set for 11 a.m. CT.
FOLLOW THE TIGERS
Visit MUTigers.com for the latest information on all things Mizzou Tennis. You can also find the Tigers on social media by liking us on Facebook (Mizzou Tennis) and following us on Twitter (@MizzouTennis) and Instagram (Mizzou_Tennis).