BATON ROUGE, La. – Mae Canete defeated a Top 20 ranked LSU player in singles but University of Missouri tennis fell to the Tigers by a 5-2 margin Friday at the LSU Tennis Complex.
Mizzou fell to 9-6 on the year and 0-3 in SEC play. LSU, ranked No. 39, moved to 7-1 and 1-2 in league outings.
Canete beat No. 19 Kylie Collins in straight sets at No. 1 singles. She took the early first-set lead, won the set 6-1 and took him the second set by a 6-2 score.
Andrea Artimedi also picked up a win at No. 5 singles, defeating LSU’s Noor Carrington in two sets. After a battle to 6-6, Artimedi triumphed in a 7-2 first-set tiebreaker. The second set had more of the same with the players deadlocked at 5-5 after 10 games. Artimedia took the final two to pick up the 7-5 second-set win to clinch a point.
LSU picked up an early advantage in doubles when the No. 3 squad of Laura Masic and Gabriela Martinez was forced to retire after only one game due to injury. LSU’s No. 2 pairing of Collins and Nina Geissler took down Andrea Artimedi and Emelie Schwarte by a score of 6-2 to clinch the doubles point.
The Tigers return to the court this Sunday in College Station, Texas against Texas A&M. Mizzou will look to snap the Aggies six-match winning streak. First serve at the Mitchell Tennis Center is set for noon CT.
#39 LSU 5, Missouri 2
- Mae Canete (MIZ) def. #19 Kylie Collins (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
- #26 Anastasiya Komar (LSU) def. Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) 6-1, 6-3
- Nina Geissler (LSU) def. Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) 6-3, 6-1
- Safiya Carrington (LSU) def. Inah Canete (MIZ) 6-2, 6-1
- Andrea Artimedi (MIZ) def. Noor Carrington (LSU) 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
- Mia Rabinowitz (LSU) def. Romary Cadenas-Rifka (MIZ) 6-4, 6-3
- #66 Anastasiya Komar/Safiya Carrington (LSU) def. Inah Canete/Mae Canete (MIZ) 6-3
- Kylie Collins/Nina Geissler (LSU) def. Andrea Artimedi/Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) 6-2
- Maggie Cubitt/Mia Rabinowitz (LSU) def. Laura Masic/Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) 0-0, retired
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,1,6,3,5)