SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – University of Missouri tennis picked up a 7-0 win over Southeast Missouri State on Thursday at the Cooper Tennis Complex in Springfield.
Mizzou (8-1) swept the doubles and singles matches, dropped only one set and took a 12-3 advantage in the all-time tennis series between the two schools.
The No. 2 doubles squad of Andrea Artimedi and Gabriela Martinez were first on the board with a 6-4 win, following by the No. 1 duo of Inah Canete and Laura Masic (6-4) to secure the team point. The No. 3 group of Mae Canete and Emelie Schwarte finished up with a 6-3 win.
In singles, Inah Canete made quick work of her opponent at No. 5, earning a 6-1, 6-2 win. Mae Canete and Artimedi followed with a 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 1 and a 6-4, 6-2 tally at No. 6, respectively. Schwarte finished up next, going to the 10-4, third-set tiebreaker at No. 2.
Martinez came all the way back from being down 3-0 in the first set, winning 7-5 and then taking the second set 6-1 for the win. Masic closed things out with a 9-7 second-set tiebreaker to seal the 7-0 team triumph.
Mizzou takes down SEMO 7-0 in Springfield.#MIZ ???? pic.twitter.com/osxBcl7fQT
— Mizzou Tennis (@MizzouTennis) January 19, 2023
Missouri 7, Southeast Missouri State 0
Cooper Tennis Complex – Springfield, Missouri
- Inah Canete and Laura Masic (MIZ) def. Romana Tarajova and Lera Valeeva (SEMO) 6-4
- Andrea Artimedi and Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) def. Daniela Hlacikova and Teona Velkoska (SEMO) 6-4
- Mae Canete and Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) def. Vivian Lai and Ksenia Shikanova (SEMO) 6-3
- Mae Canete (MIZ) def. Romana Tarajova (SEMO) 6-3, 6-2
- Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) def. Daniela Hlacikova (SEMO) 6-2, 4-6, 10-4
- Laura Masic (MIZ) def. Ksenia Shikanova (SEMO) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
- Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) def. Cosima Trinity-Calinescu (SEMO) 7-5, 6-1
- Inah Canete (MIZ) def. Vivian Lai (SEMO) 6-1, 6-2
- Andrea Artimedi (MIZ) def. Teona Velkoska (SEMO) 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: Singles — 5 1 6 2 4 3; Doubles — 2 1 3
Mizzou will return to the Cooper Tennis Complex on Friday to face Central Arkansas in a dual match. Mizzou’s matchup with the Bears will take place an hour after the end of the dual between SEMO and UCA, set for 8 a.m.
UCA is playing its first duals of the 2023 season this week. Mizzou leads the all-time series 5-0 and swept a doubleheader against the bears on Feb. 19, 2022 in Columbia.
FOLLOW THE TIGERS
Visit MUTigers.com for the latest information on all things Mizzou Tennis. You can also find the Tigers on social media by liking us on Facebook (Mizzou Tennis) and following us on Twitter (@MizzouTennis) and Instagram (Mizzou_Tennis).