By: Ben Adamson
msu bears baseball games 22-26:
|Schedule||Tuesday, April at Missouri, 6:30 p.m.|
Friday, April 16 at Evansville, 6:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 17 at Evansville, 1 p.m.
Saturday, April 17 at Evansville, 4 p.m.
Sunday, April 18 at Evansville, 1 p.m.
|Locations||Columbia, Mo. (Tues.)|
Evansville, Ind. (Fri.-Sun.)
|Sites||Taylor Stadium (Tues.)|
Braun Stadium (Fri.-Sun.)
|Live Video||Missouri | Evansville|
|Live Stats||Missouri | Evansville|
|Missouri State||MSU Game Notes – Missouri|
MSU Game Notes – Evansville
(available by 5 p.m. Wednesday)
Baseball Home Page
|Missouri||Baseball Home Page|
|Evansville||Baseball Home Page|
1) Missouri State hits the road for five games this week, visiting in-state rival Missouri at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday before heading to Evansville for a four-game Missouri Valley Conference set April 16-18.
2) MSU’s last four victories have come in the team’s final at bat. The Bears won in 10 innings on March 30 SEMO and have three walk-off wins in the bottom of the ninth inning already in April – Cam Cratic getting hit by a pitch with the bases loaded on April 1 against Bradley, Mason Hull’s game-winning single on April 2 versus Bradley, and a Drake Baldwin home run on April 6 against Drury.
3) Keith Guttin currently ranks third on the NCAA’s Division I wins list for active coaches and 19th all-time with 1,299 for his 39-year career; he is 1 win away from Fresno State’s Bob Bennett in the 18th spot on the chart. Ironically, Guttin’s 1,200th victory came against MU on April 18, 2017 in Columbia.
4) The MVC has a new format for league series this season, with teams meeting four times per weekend with a doubleheader on day two. The first game of the doubleheader will be scheduled for seven innings.
5) Missouri State and Missouri are tied 29-29 in the all-time series while the Bears lead Evansville 58-42.
7) In their 30th MVC season, the Bears are 425-290 in league play with six regular season titles.
8) There are several upcoming milestones to watch for the Bears. Jack Duffy is 9 hits away from 200 in his career. With 207 games played, Duffy is 8 away from MSU’s top 10 and 29 from tying the school record. With 34 career starts and 231.1 innings, Logan Wiley is 5 starts from MSU’s top 10 and 12.2 innings away. Logan Geha will move to 4th in school history the next time he is hit by a pitch, and 3rd with his next sacrifice bunt. Ben Whetston is MSU’s career fielding percentage leader at .993.
The Missouri State Bears (11-10, 2-2 MVC) will play five road games this week, beginning with a 6:30 p.m. Tuesday contest at Missouri (11-19, 4-8 SEC).
The Bears then head to the Hoosier State for a four-game series with Evansville (18-12, 3-4 MVC) April 16-18. The MVC schedule takes on a new format this season, with teams meeting four times per weekend with a doubleheader on day two. The first game of the doubleheader will be scheduled for seven innings.
Missouri State and Missouri are tied at 29-29 in 58 all-time meetings. The Tigers have won the last four in the series after the Bears won six of seven from 2014-17. MSU is 13-17 in Columbia.
The Bears are 58-42 against Evansville with a 24-19 road record. The Purple Aces took the series in 2019 after Missouri State won all six meetings in 2017 and 2018.